Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default conservatory leak - what does this look like?

Jim Alexander wrote:
"keith" wrote in message
All,
Thanks for your helpful replies.
It sounds like I've been taken advantage of by the roof repair
people, so I'll know next time.
I'll either try to fix as per suggestions, or get another firm to
look at it, or see if there's a guarantee in my paperwork.

The "soaking through the bricks" theory has been shot down, so that
saves me pursuing that .

I am a bit puzzled though because we had just a flash band when we
moved in, that leaked the same way, which is why we had a
professional job done. So both roofers have made the same mistake
and the fix involves using both lead & flash band & sealant.

How do I get to the roof to seal it? - all I can think of is somehow
putting a small hook on end of a ladder and hooking it over the apex.

While the flashing may well be poor I fear the fundamental problem is
the conservatory installation. Have a look at this....

http://www.synseal.co.uk/synseal/glo...leadflash.html

This describes the flashing fitting into a channel as I have. There
is a video but its Quicktime which I haven't got and couldn't be
bothered downloading. Also check out the Ultraframe website for
ideas. There are some tantalising glimpses of decent flashing, again
dressed into the glazing bar not over it.

For maintenance access I put a piece of chipboard flooring across the
conservatory rafters ridge to gutter and crawl very carefully. This
is not a guaranteed recommendation but an idea. Maybe support from
below as well. And I don't have lead on my wallmost glazing bar.

HTH

Jim A

The soaker bar mentioned above will probably only be available to synseal
customers and compatible with their products...in my earlier post I
mentioned using flashband or lead to create a soaker, flashband would
probably be easier now that the upper flashing is already pointed in....I
wouldn't say the conservatory itself was badly installed, it may have been
there as long as ten years, certainly more than three, probably well before
these soakerbars were thought up.