Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default conservatory leak - what does this look like?

In article ,
"keith" writes:
Please can someone help me with a suggestion on what to do about below?
(photos at )

We moved into a 10yr old house in Devon 3 years ago. When we've had both
strong rain AND strong wind we get leaks from the conservatory, seems to be
out of the brickwork over the house doors.
Strong rain alone is fine.
We've had the lead flashing where the house joins the conservatory roof
replaced, and it won't leak no matter how much I play a hose on it.

It looks to me like the lead has been wrongly cut to dress it into
the brickwork. The vertical cuts should slant backwards, almost at
right angles to the roof slope in this case. It's difficult to tell
from the camera angle, but some of yours look like they might even
be off-vertical and slanting the wrong way slightly. This means water
can ingress at each step in the leadwork. I bet if you play a hose on
the wall just above the leadwork, water comes through.

But if we get strong wind too (we look out over a valley) it leaks as per
the photos .

You need water teaming down the wall, so it needs to be blowing
enough to be soaking the wall under the main roof overhang.

Someone suggested it's down to rain getting into the bricks and saturating
them so much the water just passes down through the bricks. I think image
534 and the shininess/dampness of the whole house face after last night
supports this?
Suggestion was to put some transparent waterproof coating on all the bricks,
or insert a drip tray in the brickwork above the conservatory.

No, I don't think this is the cause. Even pourous bricks aren't
that porous, and if they were, they would have been destroyed by
frost already.
--
Andrew Gabriel