Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Choosing cable size. Formula?

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
Hi.

I want to run an armoured cable from the house to my new shed. It's a
total of 15m distance and it will power:

1 x 4' daylight tube 36w
2 x 150w pir floods 300w
1 x small freezer 60w?
4 x wall sockets (occasional battery charger, power tools etc)1000w?

Say a potential max load of approx 1500w.

w/v = a?

1500 / 240 = 6.25a.

Local supplier wants to sell me 4.0mm cable. Seems a bit OTT to me
for this. Surely 2.5 would be fine? Opinions?

Also, would you use a consumer unit in the shed to split the lighting
and sockets or be happy with a junctionbox? There will be a dedicated
fuse at the house end after all.

Thanks.

It is the starting current of the freezer that is significant and will be a
whole lot higher than 60w/240.
Even so 2.5mm should be OK.

Always fuse shed/workshop lights separately. It is vital that in the event
of a fuse blowing that you are not operating rotating machinery (albeit
slowing down) when the lights go out.
Fuse in the house 30A, two fuses/mcbs in the workshop 16amp and 6 amp.

Bob