Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default White Matt Emulsion instead of Undercoat?

ste-m wrote:

Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in the
living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do I need to
use undercoat for the best results before painting with my final colour
(cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some white matt emulsion
as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this in the house already).

I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what I've
already got.

On plaster, emulsion will be fine. If you are painting new plaster (or
filler!) that has not been painted before, then water it down a little
bit for the first coat.

--
Cheers,

John.