Posted to alt.home.repair
morenuf morenuf is offline

Default water filter housing stuck

In article .com,
" wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve
to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little
Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of
pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually
damage the housing.

Edwin -
Thanks very much. I have relieved the pressure by pushing the red
pressure release button on top. Do I need to do more? It doesn't budge
at all.

It may have been tightened too much.

I once (after many times replacing the carbon cartridge in past)
tightened the housing too tightly. Mine has ribs on the plastic housing
casing. I used (carefully) a pipe wrench as the spacing was very wide
and the casing large as well and no other wrench I had would open that
wide.

It did move enough to get the housing loose. I have been careful ever
since to not tighten too much.

Good luck.

Morenuf
--