Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water filter housing stuck

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just purchased a house and tried to change the water filter. I can't
budge it and I'm afraid I'm going to break a pipe or pull the support
out of the wall (it's that tight). Please tell me there's a way to get
this thing off without having to call a plumber. It's thanksgiving
weekend.

It's a big blue 10" filter system.

First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve
to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little
Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of
pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually
damage the housing.