Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mavlusone@yahoo.com is offline

Default Repair of Crystal Phono Cartridges ?

Blake wrote:
A common problem on old phonographs with crystal cartridges seems to be that
the Rochelle salts crystal disintegrates with humidity. I'm working on one
of these phonos now. I have an idea how it might be repaired, but rather
than reinvent the wheel, I thought I would ask how others have attacked this
problem.

It seems to me that I might be able to use a ceramic piezo element like this
one

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...EZO_DISC_.html

to replace the old crystal inside the phono cartridge. The size is just
about right. Has anyone tried this? If so, is the output level and frequency
response comparable to the original crystal?

Or is there a better approach (that doesn't cost more than an old phonograph
is worth)?

Thanks for your comments.