Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default Outlet wiring, does color matter?

Yes it matters that the white wire goes to the larger hole side of the
outlet and the black wire goes to the smaller hole side of the outlet.

Then when things are plugged in, they are safer if the outlet is wired
properly. For example a table lamp with one prong larger than the other. You
can only plug it in one way. The larger prong (white wire) goes to the
"ring" part of the light bulb. The smaller prong (black - hot) goes to the
switch and then to the contact down in the center of the socket.

You can get electrocuted if you touch the black hot wire. It is safer it
this is the wire going to the contact in the bottom of the light socket. It
is easy to accidentally touch the metal ring of a light bulb when changing a
light bulb. Best if it is connected to the white (neutral) wire and NOT to
the black hot wire!

So wire your outlets properly and wire lamps and appliances properly. Get a
book on wiring or call an electrician. These things are done to protect YOUR
life and the lives of YOUR family.

wrote in message
When wiring up normal 3-prong outlets, does it matter if I switch the
black and white wires on a single outlet in the run?

I've heard the polarity doesn't matter...but want to make sure I'm not
going to short it out or something else horrible.

Also, when wiring up lights, does it matter which color wire I run to
the switch? Most of the how-to articles show cutting the white
wire...does it make any difference?