Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Fischer Tim Fischer is offline

Default Finding Underground Wiring

"Pete C." wrote in message
Al Schmidt wrote:

How do I find underground wires (110V, water sprinkler valves,...)? I'm
moving into a house with many underground wires which I would like to
locate. Some are live a.c. others low voltage or signaling. Is there
something I can buy/rent to do this?

Thanks

In most areas you there is a "call before you dig" 800 number that you
are required to call a couple days before you do any digging deeper than
12"-16". This central dispatch service notifies the various utilities in
the area (power, phone, cable, etc.) who will come out to locate and
mark their cables. This service is free and will take care of those
utility feeds.

This is for public utilities, not privately owned ones, which is what the OP
was asking.

Sprinklers, low voltage freeds, and wiring to outbuildings, outlets, or post
lamps would all be private wiring and is not in the public record-- at least
where I'm from.

-Tim