Posted to rec.woodworking
zap zap is offline

Default Plan for Cabbage Shredder

A Cabbage shredder -- I take it that you have never even seen one, and
I know that if you had ever used one that you would not have to ask the
question.

So here goes.

you have a two part base of wood, and a sharp thin blade. the in part
of the base is smooth and is about 3/4 the length of the entire cutter
assembly, and wide enough to take the largest cabbage. then a THIN sharp
blade is mounted just slightly higher than the in base board at the
inside end of the base, and goes from side to side. Set the height of
the blade to the hight to give you the thickness of cut that you want,
and it will be fixed in place and will not be changed after the unit is
built. then mount an output base board even with the top of your cutter
blade for the cabbage to slide on after going through the cutter. With
two low side pieces to hold the base boards and blade together and to
keep the cabbage from sliding off the base sides.

To use, set the cabbage slicer over a pan or bucket, and start pushing
the head of cabbage back and forth across the cutting blade. It works
fast but watch out that you do not slice your fingers. You could also
make a push block with very short teeth on the bottom by which you would
hold the cabbage down as you push it through.

Belive me, it will do a head of cabbage faster than you ever thought.

How it works? picture the top of a jointer. the input side is set lower
than the output side. I would suggest that you cut the cabbages in half
before starting to shred them. If the blade is held in with small
screws, then the blade can be removed for sharpening.

Have fun.

Zap

wrote:
I am looking at making a cabbage shredder or mandoline. Could someone tell
me where to go to get a plan or idea on how to make one.
TIA