Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] roger61611@yahoo.com is offline

Default Buy land and trailer, then build home? Mortgage questions...

I think it depends in part on your priorities. My aim is to get to
where I have a home that's refurbished to my tastes but I don't have
the $$$ or motivation to go the full custom route. If that's what you
want and you have the moolah, that's cool.

Depending on where the lot is, a mobile home may be a no-no, zoning
wise.

I'm trying to think of who could help you, somehow it would help to tap
into people that have built custom. If you do a full custom thing, a
realtor may or may not be any help, a good one can look at land and
advise you on all the practicalities of this dealie.

I suggest first looking at your assets and the appx cost of land and
custom homes where you are. Here (midwest US - cheap !) a half acre in
a decent area but not a subdivision can be 50 grand. More if you have
to run utilities. A house by a to-order builder (not a tract home)
will be ... hmmmm... 100-150 a sq foot ? (Out of my league here.) So
say a quarter million for an average size house with half acre. You
need 20% of that in cash using a conservative approach.

People do this all the time. Builders will be VERY happy to talk to
you of you go this route.