Posted to misc.consumers.house
RnR RnR is offline

Default Maytag Washing machine tearing clothes

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:32:42 -0500, Nick wrote:

Hello Everyone,

We have a 1 1/2 year old Maytag MAV7504EWW washing machine
which has been getting more problematic since we purchased it. At
first we had noticed a clicking sound when the agitator was moving. We
had a Maytag repairman in to look at the issue and all he could say
was that we were overloading the machine thus causing the clicking
sound. We've been dealing with it since about 7 months into our
purchase however the agitator is tearing our clothes...towels socks
and shirts. We had an old 30+ year old Maytag washing machine which
now am regretting we didn't fix. Is there anything that can be done to
fix this? We also tried the washing machine bags for nylon stockings
etc.. but they are also being torn and a lot of lint is being trapped
in them. I paid about $600 but the hassle that we are going through
I'd be willing to buy another brand if it would make the problem go
away.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick, first off, I've got a Maytag washer / dryer about 14 years old
which run good but I was suspecting that one day, it might stop. I
think now if I had to replace them, I'd go with Whirlpool (which
incidentally I think bought out Maytag about a year or so ago; others
can correct me if I'm wrong here) because my last appliance repair,
the repairman told me that Whirlpool was the best and I also checked
consumer reports in the library about 7 months or so ago and it also
seem to rate Whirlpool as best overall for both. I feel confident to
suggest Whirlpool to you and perhaps Kenmore next. I know I will not
buy Maytag for my replacements as there seems to be too many horrow
stories. The only question I really have will be whether I should go
with a front loader being I have an occasional bad back and my wife
and I will be getting closer to retirement age so we are getting old
(according to my teenagers).

That said, I hate to see you have to replace a 1.5 year old machine
due to the expense. Hope you can fix your problem.