Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing pencil marks from wood

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:32:31 -0000, Jon
wrote:

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish
the bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How
can I remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but
it's not effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a
less aggressive solution...

Try rubbing it with a spot of lighter fluid. Use a clean rag, or
you'll deposit whatever's on the rag onto the wood.
Test a small area first, see how you get on.

White spirit apparently works as well - never tried it myself. I usually
sand them off.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman