Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Christmas lights and fuses

In article . com,
" wrote:

There is a simple and CHEAP fix for those stupid, wimpy, fuse-in-the-plug
light sets: Cut off that worthless and trouble prone fused plug and REPLACE
it with a REAL (regular) plug. Problem solved. (no joke)

OK, UL-lovers and hand-wringers: Flame away... (pun intended)

You know those fuses were added for folks like my wife who would string
20 together and wonder why their home burnt down.....

If the circuit to which those "20" were connected was equipped with proper
overcurrent protection, that would not happen. If the circuit were NOT so
protected, Christmas lights would be the LEAST of her concern.

polarized polugs GFCIs, grounded plugs, and all the rest are there for
our safety and protection.

Add to your list seatbelts, helmets, airbags, lawnmower deadman controls and
the like. It's amazing we have lived as long as some of us have without such
protections. We used an increasingly little-used safety device: Our brain
and common sense.
--

JR