Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Tiling a table top

wrote:
I'm going to kick of my first tiling job on the top of a farily cheap
table. To make an ugly table into something nice for the back porch.

Just a couple of silly questions.

Should I staple plastic down between the table top and the backerboard?

Should I skip the plastic and thin set between the table and the
backerboard?

Should I simply nail or screw the backerboard down? Skip the thinset?

The table is thin, 1/2, maybe a tad less. I wonder If i should top it
with a piece of plywood then backboard? Would also make the table more
rigid.

Any ideas or advice?

Any ideas or advice?

Yep, skip the whole idea, throw the cheap table away and buy a good
patio table. Tile top tables and counters are a real pain in the a** to
clean and nothing really sits "flat and stable" on them anyway.
Trust me, you'll work yer butt off to build this thing, spend nearly as
much as a new table costs and in the end you won't be happy with it.

Well, thats MY opinion (you DID ask for advice, right?) :-)

George