Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe 46erjoe is offline

Default Stoppiing leak in plastic plumbing pipe

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:34:37 -0800, "Bob"
wrotF:

I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that are
located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the leak
without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this would be
most appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

I had the same problem with a toilet drain under the 1st floor and in
the basement. I found that Home Depot carries a special black plumbers
tape ... it looks like electrical tape, that stretches and adheres to
itself.

I dried the pipe thoroughly, then wrapped the pipe tightly with all
the tape on the spool, about 6' of it. That was 3 months ago. So far,
it's still dry. But I don't know if this is a long-term solution.

I tried silicone sealer first, but the water seemed to leak under it
and I had to pull it all off. So I wouldn't recommend that route.