Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Need a replacement spring for a mortise lock

MC

I would take it to a good local locksmith.

And I would call around first. Start the conversation like this.

I need a ten cent spring and I'm willing to pay $20 for it. I just
need the spring - I'll replace it myself. Can you help me out?

The previous advice was sound: TAKE the lock out of the door and bring it
to a good locksmith. I have often taken locks into a locksmith (one I took
an old trunk to have the lock picked). If it's a larger operation, you
will have an owner who has "done everything" and usually hangs out in the
office until there is a lot of outside business or to help out a new guy.

I'm sure you could track one down on the internet, but it'd be tough to
know you're getting exactly (or close-enoughly) the spring you need
without comparing them side by side.

You could also try making one yourself. Take a suitably sized spring
and heat it up (anneal it) so you can work it. Form it into the shape
you need, heat it back up and quench it to temper it. It's a
*******ized technique, but it should work and it's easier than starting
from scratch. Here's the correct way:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html
and a Google search: