Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com is offline

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

wrote:
Unfortunately, I celebrated too early: While I was able to take out the
drum and confirm that the 2 back rollers are indeed stuck (due to lots
of lint & hair in there), I found no easy way of accessing the nuts at
the back that will allow me to remove them...

The back seems to be covered by yet another cover and removing screws
that seem to hold the back cover to the back frame doesn't help much
because... it seems like that two back parts are "glued" together. I am
afraid to do more damage than good, so I am back here, to consult
regarding what do in such case.

OK - I found the "trick": There is no way around this without removing
the drum completely. I was afraid to even touch the belt, but once I
decided this is the right thing to do I simply did it, paying attention
to how the belt was placed around the bottom pulley, so that I remember
how to replace it.

Once the drum was out, I had access to the rollers and boy how stuck it
was: not only it was full of lint & hair, it was also stuck to the
shaft (I mistkanely called it "axel" earlier"). I used acetone to clean
all this stickents and now the rollers turn like new. There is no need
to buy new ones, so I saved about extra $50.

Now I have to put everything back. We'll see how this goes. I am
documenting here every step, so that others like me who google for a
solution, will find this. I decided to start fixing my appliances
myself after SEARS charged me $239 for 20 minutes replacing the fan in
my Kenmore refrigerator... I think that even a Ph.D. doesn't earn that
much as an hourly rate...

Thanks,
Sam