Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] paul.flansburg@hotmail.com is offline

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.

Wow! Paul, thank you so much for your quick answer. Indeed it helped me
progress with my troubleshooting: I removed the lint filter assembly (I
have what repairclinic.com calls "Electric Whirlpool Style Version 2")
and was able to look closely at the various mechanical parts. There was
A LOT of lint & hair still remaining there...

So, I removed some of it and especially cleaned the rollers. I
reconnected to see whether it changes anything and, sure enough, the
motor runs and rotates the drum.

However, this "beating noise" is till there and I know this is a sign
for a more serious failure waiting to happen... (the last thing I want
is a burning motor).

So, I think I will take your advice and while at that replace whatever
needs to be replaced.

One question, though: How do I access the back roller? My arms are
relatively short and I was having hard time reaching the back roller
for lint removal, which means I will need more clearance to reach that
part. Do I have to remove the drum? What is the proper way to do so?

For your reference, I am providing a URL to a drawing that is
remarkably identical to my dryer:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_16.asp

Thanks!
Sam

You'll just have to pay attention to how the unit comes apart, but I
beleive I took the drum out. Once out, I then replaced the rollers.
Like I said, it's a simple job, but pay attention to how the unit comes
apart and put it back together the way you took it apart.

I'm 99.99% sure it's the rollers. My dryer was banging also and I
replaced the rollers. Take the part number down to a shop for the
replacement parts. Then, with parts in hand, take the machine apart
and put it back together.

-paul