Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] paul.flansburg@hotmail.com is offline

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

wrote:
I have a Kenmore dryer model no. 110.96588210 (11 years without a
single failure - up until now).

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped heating. Quick troubleshooting revealed a
broken heating element. I replaced it, took out all lint from that
internal area and everything seemed to be working again.

But after a week, I heard the motor attempting to perform its last turn
and then... shut-off. Thereafter, any attempt to restart the dryer,
will sound a motor trying to rotate something that is mechanically
stuck.

Indeed, during this "lucky week" in which I had the dryer working, I
heard the drum beating about once every rotation. I told my wife: "uh
oh, I think the ball bearings are gone.".

However, I have no clue wether indeed the ball bearings are gone or
whether it even this model has ball bearings.

Theoretically, yes - the motor could have gone - but my hunch tells me
it is not the motor, but rather some kind of a mechanical problem.
Moreover, when I try to rotate the drum by hand, it does not rotate
easily at all...

Any tips or ideas about how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.

-paul