Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com is offline

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

I have a Kenmore dryer model no. 110.96588210 (11 years without a
single failure - up until now).

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped heating. Quick troubleshooting revealed a
broken heating element. I replaced it, took out all lint from that
internal area and everything seemed to be working again.

But after a week, I heard the motor attempting to perform its last turn
and then... shut-off. Thereafter, any attempt to restart the dryer,
will sound a motor trying to rotate something that is mechanically
stuck.

Indeed, during this "lucky week" in which I had the dryer working, I
heard the drum beating about once every rotation. I told my wife: "uh
oh, I think the ball bearings are gone.".

However, I have no clue wether indeed the ball bearings are gone or
whether it even this model has ball bearings.

Theoretically, yes - the motor could have gone - but my hunch tells me
it is not the motor, but rather some kind of a mechanical problem.
Moreover, when I try to rotate the drum by hand, it does not rotate
easily at all...

Any tips or ideas about how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!