Posted to alt.home.repair
srazor srazor is offline

Default leaning garage

Issue: I have a small one car garage, gable end over door and rear, that is leaning to the left. The garage is about 3.5 inches out of plumb over 7' of height. I know how to correct the lean having done it before on a garage that leans front to rear, but i have a question on this job. The rear wall will be simple to correct, I am going to let in a 2x running diagonal across the rear. Now for the question: How do I brace the front? The corner posts are doubled 2x4s wiith a space of around 6" between that and the doubled 2x that are the garage door sides/ header support. I don't believe that this small area will suffice as a shear wall if I sheath it with plywood. My instinct tells me it will just be a wider corner post, around 9" - (2 2X4 + 6 INCH CAVIVITY + 2 2x = 9") that will subsequently lean.

What to do?

Scot

TIA