Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default How do combi boiler diverter valves work?

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:54:56 +0100, Drake wrote:

Hi,
My Chaffateaux Britony 80 combi boiler has a recurring problem (as
mentioned in an earlier post). A Chaffateaux tekkie thinks its the
diverter valve. It's not easy to get detailed advice from him because
I'm not a registered engineeer.

I can see the diverter valve in the diagram in my user booklet. It's
part No.17 in the following illustration:

http://tinyurl.com/yx4ku9

I'm puzzled because there are no wires going to that component, apart
from the CH control thermistor wires. (No.16 in the pic).

So how do these 3-way valves work? Electrically, or by some other
means? What sort of fault could cause it to acasionally malfunction
for seveal days on end and then clear up for a few days?

In this case it electrically operated. I've checked the manual.
There is an electrical connection but you might not be able to see it
until you've got the valve half out.

I strongly suspect that the only effective method of repair of this
appliance is to replace this valve.

I possible cause of problems is the valve become stuck and then unsticking.

There are a lot of variations of diverter/3-way valves used in combi
boilers.

The most common case is for the valve to be directly moved by the same
components that detect the water flow.

Electrically is also used as in this case.

Wax pellet expansion is used on the Potterton Puma.

A 'standard' Honeywell type is used on some boilers (Pott. Lynx )

By using the circulator pressure and a reversing servo valve (Vaillant
VCW 24x and Sine T3)

and probably others.