Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Toilet rocks when you sit on it?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

If you have a wood subfloor, you should treat the water leak with great
urgency. I'd wager that a little bit of water is leaking out with each flush
(after a 'lot of activity' enough leaked water has built up to leak out from
under the toilet). Since you have tile, you will most likely find a rough
cutout around the flange (the toilet's drain hole in the floor) where some
subfloor is exposed, which will inevitably suffer from water damage.

Tile sometimes causes sealing problems because of it's thickness and
standard wax rings aren't always enough to bridge the gap between the flange
and the toilet base. Use an extra thick ring, or in an extreme case (thick
tile like travertine on top of 1/2" concrete backerboard on top of wood
subfloor) you may have to stack rings.