Abrasha

Default What is a second operation lathe?

George wrote:

Matthew matthewjameslee*yahoo.com wrote:

I have seen the harding tool room lathe and understand that is also called
a "secind operation lathe" But why is this?

I think you're talking about two different animals. Though the
terminology is confusing.

The Hardinge TFB doesn't have a lead screw and is often called a
Secondary Op. lathe. The HLV-x does have a leadscrew and is generally
termed a Toolmaker's lathe.

But the terms are loosely applied and often used to conceal the fact
that the TFB sells for a lot less than the HLV.

If you are not going to use the lathe for thread turning, then all you
need is the TFB.

George.

I don't think that answers the OP question. I don';t think that having a lead
screw has anything to do with it.

It is my understanding that a "second operation" lathe is exactly what the name
implies. It is a lathe on which a different (second) operation is performed
than on the "first opreation" (there is no such term I think) lathe.

This is done so no setup change is necessary on the first lathe. The parts to
be machined in the "second operation" are just moved form the first to the
second lathe. Having second operation lathes can save a great deal of time in
the production of parts.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com