amdinc

Default Heat treating 4130 steel at home

John Olson wrote:

Is it possible to heat-treat 4130 CroMo steel at home? Does anyone know of
an online reference that explains the process? I've got a kiln big enough
to do hold the piece, and it runs to over 1200 deg C. I'm looking at
building an anti-sway bar for a car I'm making, and I may have to make more
than one to get the values right.

Cheers

John

---

the trick is to get the metal to the right temp and have a accurate way
of measuring it. A thermocouple gauge is used in most ovens. an old
time way was to heat it until a magnet will not stick to it and then
quench it in warm oil. you must be able to completely submerge the
piece or you will not quench it properly and it will catch on fire. YOu
need at least a gallon of oil for every pound of metal to handle the
heat. also you should either agitate the piece in the oil or have a
circulator for the oil around the piece.

you now have to temper the piece (draw it back)... that is to remove
some of the hardness and make the metal tough. for this you need a chart
for the temperature to bring it up to for the hardness you want. then
you let it cool and if possible do a hardness test on it.

john