Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is an ideal heating temp

manxtatt2 wrote:
Any help on this matter greatly apprecaited

We have just moved into a 3 storey house , that has gas central heating
boiler.

What is the ideal temp in 0c to operate this to heat the house.

If heating requirements are low, you lose a bit less from loft pipes
going low. Also bolers are more effcient at lower temps I THINK. Not sure ..

But when it gets really cold you need the thing up around 60-70C to heat
teh house at all..

weve been told different things by people we know , but im still
unsure.

I think that around 75 or 80c is right , yet someone else says 50c

also what would be ideal times for setting heating to ?? is is ideal
to have it on for say 2 hrs in am , and 2 hours at night , does that
use up more gas, or have it on for longer

If the house is well insulated and has good thermal mass inside the
insulation, it makes very little difference to cost when you heat it -
heat is retained well.

If its got low thermal mass and/or insulation then you want to only heat
when you need it, and it will warm up fast.

The coldest, as well as the darkest, hour is just before the dawn.. I
find that in winter, I want to start my underfloor heating about midday,
so we have good output by 3pm. In a low mass house with poor insulation
you can go to about 3pm. Frankly if its bloody cold I go to 24x7 because
we are both in all day anyway.

OTOH is its a case of a low thermal mass house and everyone is out all
day at work/school,. light up the boiler about half an hour before you
get in. And run it to half an hour before bedtime, and get a good duvet
or a willing wife..;-)

Personally I hate getting up into the cold, so heating on half and hour
or more before getting is good, and time the water to heat up even
earlier...and switch off half an hour before you leave for work.

Any advice??

Simon