Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

Don't trust the color of the sheath. Color coding of the sheath is a recent
feature. Older cable may have been used and it was all white or ivory for
virtually all gauges. Read the gauge number printed on the side of the cable
sheath to confirm the actual wire size used.

"ZZ" wrote in message

If it is #14 wire you must have a 15a breaker and 15a outlets.
Are you sure it is #14? Kitchens have required #12 for a while now.

Yes, it is #14/2.

I do have a refrigerator that has a 20 amp receptacle in the kitchen with
12 gauge wire, but that's it. In my house, all the 12 gauge wire has a
yellow sheath & all the 14 gauge has a bone white sheath.

This is a brand new house (5 months old).