Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

As others have said, all kitchen outlets are required to be on 20 amp
circuits, it is Ok that the receptacles are 15 amp as long as there is more
than one outlet on the circuit. The cable should be 12 gauge. If your
appliance has a 20 amp plug on it, it requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit
and outlet

"ZZ" wrote in message
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming
from the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave