Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

ZZ wrote:
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming from
the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

I have installed quite a few 20-amp receptacles in my house as
replacements for 15-amp receptacles over the years. In fact, whenever I
happen to replace a 15-amp receptacle, I usually use a 20-amp
receptacle. Not because I'm actually going to draw 20-amps out of that
socket, but simply because they are higher-quality outlets. It usually
only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

I doubt if your expresso machine actually draws 20 amps. It probably
draws less than 10 amps. A nice little gadget to have around the house
is the "Kill A Watt" meter. It will tell you how much current any
device with a plug is drawing. They are relatively inexpensive. Here's
an example website
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...FQjqYAodamF2Gw

It sounds like your house has been wired incorrectly. It makes me
wonder if you might have the basis for a lawsuit.