Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Restoring parquet flooring

The message . com
from contains these words:

Unaffected areas look fine - a little dull through having been under
underlay for at least 20 years, but nothing that a good clean won't
sort out. But we're wondering what the best way of restoring the
paint-spattered areas will be - scraping? sanding? something chemical?
Any advice gratefully received.

ISTR that the miniature parquet is rather thin so sanding is probably
best avoided if at all possible. My parents had a house built in about
1954 that had that sort of flooring everywhere downstairs apart from the
kitchen. Even when it was newish there was always the odd piece that was
loose so you should be able to find one that will lift to check the
thickness.

It was said at the time that there was such a severe shortage of good
timber that new houses couldn't have suspended wood floors on the ground
floor so if you wanted a wood floor you had to make do with parquet over
solid concrete.

--
Roger Chapman