Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default what is the difference between single family home and town house?

In "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
oups.com...

what is the difference between single family home and town house?
When I do some research for housing, and the websites always ask me
what type of house I want to search,like single family home, town
house, house. What is the difference?

Town house is American realtor language
for the British terrace house or row house.

Row houses are common in the US too; Baltimore (where I grew up) is (or
used to be) famous for them. Unfortunately, the term "row house" took on
a connotation of "slum housing" a while back. Again, Baltimore can be
used as an example for that too.

I was somewhat shocked when a brand new condominium project out here in
St. Paul called itself "The Rowhouses on Snelling" [Snelling Ave., a
major thoroughfare, named after Josiah Snelling, a military officer
particularly responsible for the "pacification" of the region],
apparently counting on the fact that midwesterners weren't too familiar
with the negative image.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN