Posted to rec.woodworking
remove remove is offline

Default Hand rail

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:51:40 -0500, (TOM MOORE)
wrote:

I have a closed staircase on both sides . What side do I put the hand
rail on?? Right going up or right coming down?? Any code on that?
Thanks for your input.
Tom

I live in a house with a basement garage, and on the stairs from the
basement, the rail is on the right going up (on the hinge side of the
door at the top), which allows one to hold onto the rail and door
handle at the same time. The rail on the stairs to the second floor
is on the left - the only continuous wall.

I would look to see if there is any reason that one side or the other
is better. If not, put it on the side that "feels" good. (Use the
force, Luke)

Bill