Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default spot weed killer?

tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

I gave up carpet-bombing my lawn with "Weed and Feed" products because
my trees were suffering for it. Instead, I now use two ounces of
2,4-D + mecoprop + dicambra concentrate per gallon in a pump sprayer
and leisurely walk around the yard spot-spraying broadleaf weeds. It's
so amazingly satisfying to soak a weed and KNOW it will be wilting the
next day, and dead in a week. I maintain my 2-acre lawn this way.
Takes about 40 minutes to walk the whole 2 acres. I do this about four
times during the active growing season. Every year the lawn looks
better and better.

When used properly it won't hurt your grass. Don't spray it on shrubs
though.

Buy the stuff (any brand will do - just make sure to read the label and
check the concentration) at Walmart in late September when they are
clearing the shelves. You can get it for less than half price - 3
bucks a quart. I use about 2 quarts a year for 2 acres plus killing
poison ivy and brush along some wooded trails.