Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Steel framed house

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
k...
flash wrote:

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone here can help?
I'm thinking of buying a house that I've been told is constructed

with a
steel frame (I think they said it was a Hawksley type!). Various

people have
tried to put me off, including my current mortgage lender, because

they say
there are problems with the design.
I'd appreciate any other points of view on it.
I believe it was built sometime in the Seventies!

There's an estate of them near here, owners can't sell because no

one
will lend on them. Problem as I understand it is there is no cheap

or
easy method to reliably test the condition of the steel framing so

the
lender can't tell the condition of the property.

Peter

--

Price of scrap steel is high at the moment - knock it down and start
over building a proper house

Sounds good, though might not give good yeilds if sitting in a sea of
other steel frame houses. Here most are semis so that solution is not so
easy. Some people have had cladding added in an attempt to 'disguise'
that its steel framed. Doesn't really wash if the adjoined neighbour
doesn't do it though.

Peter