Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Steel framed house

flash wrote:
Hi,
I'm hoping that someone here can help?
I'm thinking of buying a house that I've been told is constructed
with a steel frame (I think they said it was a Hawksley type!).
Various people have tried to put me off, including my current
mortgage lender, because they say there are problems with the design.
I'd appreciate any other points of view on it.
I believe it was built sometime in the Seventies!

TIA

Walk away.

These houses were built as cheaply as possible, there's an estate of them
around here - most of them have a corrugated steel roof.
Someone I know purchased one (very cheap) mainly for the massive rear
garden....the 'walls' are chicken wire mesh, rendered and pebbledashed
(outside) and the same inside but skimmed....this is only downstairs -
upstairs is the same as the roof - corrugated steel.
Their only advantage is the price, they're as cheap as chips, other than
that, they're horrid.
If pricewise it's the only thing you can afford, then go for it, but bear in
mind that they don't go up in value very much due to their construction