Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Orange Peel Texture? "Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" also "California Knock-down"

A few answers:

1) What should the consistency of the mud be? Thickness?

Somewhere between pancake batter and latex paint. It should pour
out of your mixing bucket easily.

2) What orifice size should I use on the hopper.

What size blobs do you want? I'd start with the big tip, set on
about the 2nd or 3rd largest hole based on the photo you showed.

3) What pressure (Psi/cfm)?

Start at 25-30 pounds. If the mud is stiff you may need to up the
pressure slightly. Small rental units don't give much choice.

4) What distance do I spray from?

Start out about 4 feet away from the wall. One of the biggest
problems is a tendency to paint the wall. You are only trying to
splatter a few dots, not coat the wall. It will look too skimpy,
especially as it dries. DO NOT WORRY about the color, give an
honest look at blobs per square foot, size of blobs, fairly
uniform pattern of blobs on the entire wall. Ignore the tape and
bed joints, they will be all white. Try to work one wall at a
time and quit at the corners. Pick out a short wall to start till
you get the timing and bugs worked out. You can shoot more blobs
if some area is light.

5) How long is the dry time before I try and Knock down the
sprayed mud?

Depends on humidity, temperature, tools, etc. Wait too long as a
general rule and give it more pressure. If you get on it too
early, it is really easy to pull "runners". You may not even feel
like you are doing much. Wipe the knife edge every stroke with
another trowel. The large plastic triangles allow you to get on
the walls a bit earlier than a steel drywall knife.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"HotRod" wrote in message
I'm interested in applying some "Orange Peel" texture to two
ceilings in my house and was wondering if someone could help me
out with what I need to know. The texture may also be called
"Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" or "California Knock-down" you can
see a picture of what I want here
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

I need any information you can provide or possible some of the
questions answered.

1) What should the consistancy of the mud be? Thickness?
2) What orfice size should I use on the hopper.
3) What pressure (Psi/cfm)?