Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default Carrier Infinity 96, Lennox Signature G61 gas furnaces

writes:

We're probably going to get one of these furnaces. Carrier Infinity
58MVB060 or Lennox G61MV070. Both are two-stage, variable speed DC fan
blower, about 95% efficiency. No air conditioning, we're on Vancouver
Island.

Dutifully reading newsgroup posts, I came across the advice that all
parts on these furnaces, especially the electronics and the DC motor,
are more likely to blow than on an old-fashioned furnace (the furnace
being replaced, a late 70s Airco, had no electronics at all), and can
be very expensive to fix. For example, $us 800 to replace the DV
motor. Several posters suggested "go for the 10-year warranty".

It seems that in Canada, the standard is a 5-year warranty on parts
(from the manufacturer) and one year labour from the dealer. My dealer
said he'd get back to me on the prices for warranty extensions.

5/1 appears to be the standard here in the US too. But 10year P&L is
available.

A Carrier dealer quoted me $350 for this extended warranty. A Bryant
dealer had the warranty baked into the quote already. It's been
installed for a few days and works great so far. ;-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/