Posted to misc.consumers.house
Alan Sung Alan Sung is offline

Default central air no duct work

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have found a home we are thinking of purchasing that has radiant
heat which means no duct work. I'm familiar with the mini duct high
velocity systems and I'm impressed with their story but don't like the
high price. The house has windows that would not accommodate window
units. I would like to know more about a system I just heard about
where you have the compressor outside as usual but individual lines run
to each room and in each room you have what I would assume to be a
blower unit. My questions are; What is the relative cost of the system
versus putting in conventional duct work? Are the blowers noisy? Is
the air distribution adequate for larger rooms with vaulted ceilings?
Are there any other alternatives to this system besides the high
velocitiy mini duct system or installing conventional ductwork.
Thanks in advance for the help.

The only other alternative I can think of are "through-the-wall" systems.
There are two variations on these systems. One is basically a glorified
version of a regular window air conditioner, but instead of having a big
rectangular opening in the side of the house, only the refrigerant,
condensate and electric lines run through the wall. Hanging on the outside
of the house is the condensor and condensor fan. Hanging on the inside is
the coil and another fan. These are pretty typical in motel rooms.

The other version is simply the above, but "split". That means you route the
refrigerant, condensate and electric lines through the side of the house but
you can locate the condensor piece further away, for aesthetics and noise
reasons. The only downside is that the inside units can occupy a bit of wall
space and bit intrusive looking compared to standard ducted system or a high
velocity system.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA