Posted to rec.woodworking
AndyK AndyK is offline

Default Best finish for Oak kitchen table?

DJ Delorie wrote:
writes:
This poly you speak of

Polyurethane Varnish

...where and what should I get?

I get mine at the local Sherwin Williams store. Don't get the fast
drying stuff! For this, it's better to take your time and let it do
its thing without the chemicals needed to fast-dry.

Also, does it spray on, brush on, etc?

I use a good bristle brush. Poly is common; look for brushes that say
"for polyurethane". If this is the only project you're working on, it
might be easier to buy a couple inexpensive brushes (not cheap, just
inexpensive) rather than dealing with the chemicals needed to clean
them properly. You can probably get away with the 2" or 3" wide foam
brushes if you don't move the brush too quickly.

Alternatively, you can sometimes just wrap the brush in plastic wrap
between coats, if you're using an oil based poly. I wouldn't rely on
it, though.

Does it show brushmarks?

The first coat or two might have bubbles or some minor brush strokes,
but you're going to sand those anyway. The last coat should be fine,
but stick with thin coats - it's not paint ;-)

The trick is to stick with thin coats, and slow-drying.

Uh-oh. I just finished putting on 3 coats of Minwax fast-drying spray
poly in satin! Can I lightly sand, and put semi-gloss over it at this
point?