Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Best finish for Oak kitchen table?

wrote:

This poly you speak of...where and what should I get?

You can get it anywhere that sells paint. The big box stores like Home
Depot and Lowes will certainly have it, as will many smaller places.

You're looking for polyurethane finish, and it can be oil or water
based. There are many different brands, such as Varathane, Minwax, etx.

Also, does it spray on, brush on, etc?

Yes. grin

For home use it is commonly brushed or wiped. It can also be sprayed.

Does it show brushmarks, do I have to put many
coats on?

The oil based stuff shows fewer brush marks than the water-based (but
you have to use mineral spirits to clean your brushes). You would
generally do at least three coats, four might be better for the top surface.

And, is it safe for my 2 year old to eat off of?

Pretty much any common wood finish is safe to eat off once it is fully dry.

Chris