Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring downlights

bob wrote:

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing a pendant light with some downlights.
I believe I have a lighting circuit similar to 'Method 1' on this page
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/lighting_circuits.htm.

This is based on the folllowing observations:
(a) I have a single 3 core cable entering the rose, so I don't think it
is 'Method 2 - loop in wiring' a

(b) I can see no visible junction boxes in the ceiling void so I don't
think it 'Method 3 - junction box wiring'.

I have 3 diy books (Collins, B&Q, DK) and none of them seem to describe
this circuit. Does anyone know what it is called?

Basically what I need to know is if I replace the rose with a 20A
junction box, do I connect similar colour cores from the downlights to
the circuit cable from the switch in a star topology i.e.

1 red/2 browns at 1 terminal (1 red back to the switch, 1 brown to
each downlight)
1 black/2 blues at 1 terminal (1 black back to the switch, 1 blue to
each downlight)
3 earths at 1 terminal (1 earth back to the switch, 1 earth to each
downlight)

I am replacing two pendants with four downlights, hence why I am only
connecting two downlights to each junction box above.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

the ceiling rose _is_ a junction box. Hence replacing it is a job that
doesnt need doing. Nor do you need to understand the wiring, just
connect to the same connections the present light is connected to.

As for downlighters, if you mean halogens I'd recommend doing the cost
calculations first. With eg 6 downlighters you'll be replacing bulbs 6x
as often, and downlighting costs thousands in extra run cost over its
life. It also heats up the place in summer... it really is a classic
example of style over function. And environmentally it wont mark you
out as smart or caring. And they have other problems, but I wont bore
us all.

NT