Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default wiring downlights

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing a pendant light with some downlights.
I believe I have a lighting circuit similar to 'Method 1' on this page
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/lighting_circuits.htm.

This is based on the folllowing observations:
(a) I have a single 3 core cable entering the rose, so I don't think it
is 'Method 2 - loop in wiring' a

(b) I can see no visible junction boxes in the ceiling void so I don't
think it 'Method 3 - junction box wiring'.

I have 3 diy books (Collins, B&Q, DK) and none of them seem to describe
this circuit. Does anyone know what it is called?

Basically what I need to know is if I replace the rose with a 20A
junction box, do I connect similar colour cores from the downlights to
the circuit cable from the switch in a star topology i.e.

1 red/2 browns at 1 terminal (1 red back to the switch, 1 brown to
each downlight)
1 black/2 blues at 1 terminal (1 black back to the switch, 1 blue to
each downlight)
3 earths at 1 terminal (1 earth back to the switch, 1 earth to each
downlight)

I am replacing two pendants with four downlights, hence why I am only
connecting two downlights to each junction box above.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.