Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Zener diode color coding

In article ,
"Leonard Caillouet" wrote:

What are the conventions? Got one with a black stripe in the middle, red
stripe next on the end, then a red stripe on the leg. It is on the input
(pin 4) to gnd of a STRG6624 in a Panasonic PS. No schematics on this one.
This is the PT50LC14 that I was looking for the regulator type for. The
rated max on the input is 35v.
I'd guess 12 volts with a tolerance band but the input voltage seems to need
to be between 14 & 22 vdc according to the spec sheet for the regulator.
Maybe I'm reading it backwards and it should be 22.1v?

Anyone know how to read these?

The color code on a Zener doesn't tell you the voltage; it'll be the
three or four digits after the "1N" in the part number. And a precision
of 0.1 volts would be quite unusual at 22 volts. Maybe around 6.5 volts,
as there's a "sweet spot" there that gives near zero temperature
coefficient of voltage.

Why don't you stick a limited current through it, and measure it?

Isaac