Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Fixing clothes rail into sloping attic wall / ceiling

Doki wrote:
My new house has an attic room with a fairly steeply sloping ceiling
down one side of the room. It's far enough into the room for the
floor area underneath it to not be much use as is. My thinking is
that the best bet would be to put in a rail and use the area as a
wardrobe. The problem is that a) the wall / ceiling will most likely
be some sort of plasterboard.

My thinking is that it'll be relatively simple to put a bracket on
the end where I've got a proper wall, but what about the end where I
want to be bolting onto the "ceiling"? Most fasteners are designed to
take a force perpendicular to them, but if I bolt something like this:

to hold up the other end, the screws will be pulled by the weight of
the clothes on the rail at a 45 degree or so angle.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I don't really want a rail running the
length of the room as it must be 16 foot, and I've not got many
clothes, and I don't really want to end up making a wooden framework
to support the rail either...

Is this type any better? you can drive one of these into the rafters at an
angle and feed the pole through the eye.

You'll be able to get these cheaper at an iron mongers/chandlers, as this
type are commonly found in the garden/backyard for clothes line or hoisting
summat.

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite