Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Cost of moving drain field / septic tank?

wrote:
Hi all,

I am wondering what (approximately) is the cost of moving a septic
tank and drain field? I want to extend the back of my home, and add a
pool, and the drain field / tank is in the way.

I have looked into getting hooked up to city / county water, but
haven't had much luck finding that info. Just wanting some rough
estimates. My house has appreciated somewhere in the 70-80K range, so
I think it would be cost effective, but want to be sure what the costs
are.

I eventually plan to move the drain field and tank, extend the back
of my home about 5-10 feet, install a pool, and upgrade the A/C system
in my home. I have contacts in the pool building business, and my
family is in construction. Hopefully, that will save me a little bit.

If the choice were between FIXING (cleaning/de-rooting/extending) an
existing septic system vs tying into the municipal sanitary sewer system,
the cost concerns probably come down on the side of repairing what you have.

Your choice, it seems, is between installing a (virtually new) septic system
vs city sanitary lines. I bet it'll be considerably cheaper to tie into the
city system.

Putting in a pool, like an extreme kitchen makeover, rarely pays for itself
in resale value. If you want it for YOU, go for it. But as an investment?
Forget it.