Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of moving drain field / septic tank?

I have looked into getting hooked up to city / county water, but
haven't had much luck finding that info. Just wanting some rough
estimates. My house has appreciated somewhere in the 70-80K range, so I
think it would be cost effective, but want to be sure what the costs
are.

I don't see that how much your house has appreciated has tanything o do
with adding a pool being cost effective. In most parts of the
country, adding a pool is a losing proposition to begin with, as you
never recover in resale value anywhere near what it costs, even without
having to put in a new septic system. The exception being areas like
FL, where pools are very common. I think the estimate of $10K to
relocate the septic system is conservative. A lot would depend on how
much you can do yourself, which is unclear, as being in construction
could mean anything from doing framing to having a backhoe. The
latter is obviously going to get you a lot farther.

If you are intent on doing this, my first choice would be to get hooked
up to municipal sewer if it's available. Most home buyers prefer that,
as it eliminates all the future problems with a septic system, although
it does have a yearly cost, which I would figure out too, before I
decided.