Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default General advice sought on gravelling a garden

wrote:
Hi list!

I'm interested in putting gravel down to replace the grass in my small
front garden, mostly to reduce maintenance (terrace house, so to mow
it I have to drag the mower through the house). Would I be right in
saying the job is roughly:

1) dig out existing topsoil down six inches or so

Dont bother, gravel right over it.

2) lay impermeable plastic layer to kill weeds

Use a decent weed control fabric.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/160172

3) get gravel delivered from local builders yard

Yup. In 1 Tonne bags. Go for 18mm gravel, it won't move about as much as
10mm.

4) haul gravel up onto garden (it's about 2 feet above ground level,
so I think this necessitates a 'barrow and has to be done by hand) and
spread it out with a rake.

The Hiab on the delivery truck will easily lift over that.

The garden is quite small -- about 12ftx8ft, or thereabouts. The guy
in the local builder's yard reckoned a half-ton of chippings, quite
chunky ones (10-15mm or so, by eye). Does the amount seem about right
to everyone?

About right for 18mm

What about compacting, either the earth underneath or the gravel once
laid? This garden won't be walked on often or driven on, so is
compaction necessary?

Not unless you drive/walk on it.

Finally, costs. Seems like the DIY approach will be pretty cheap -- a
decent shovel and barrow, £10 or so for the impermeable layer, and
about £35 for the chippings. Have I missed something off the list?

A back support belt if you are 40+ ! Gravel in 1 tonne bags doesn't spread
itself when you cut the bag open. You have to shovel, barrow & rake.

And
does anyone have any idea roughly what it would be cost to have the
job done by a professional? I've rung a half-dozen firms but none of
them are answering the phone.

I would charge about a days labour + gravel + weed control fabric, + a
margin on a job like this, so about £300.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman