Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Freezer operation at low ambient temperatures?

Vortex wrote:

We have a 10-ish year old Zanussi Freezer which we would like to relocate
outside (under shelter but open-air...and therefore susceptible to low
temperatures from time to time.).

The manual states: "If the room temperature falls below freezing point the
freezer will not function as it should".

Can anybody explain the above statement in more detail, please? I really do
not understand why a modern freezer shouldn't work when outside.

See mucho discussion of this in the archives of this ng:
http://tinyurl.com/o93at or
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&num=10&q=freezer+garage+ temperature+group%3Auk.d-i-y&safe=off&qt_s=Search

IIRC the problem is primarily when you have a combined fridge freezer
with only one thermostat / compressor - ambient temp falls to below
normal fridge temp (~4 deg C), so the thermostat shuts the thing down
regardless of the fact that the freezer section still needs cooling.

We have separate 'overflow' fridge and freezer in our garage - I think
both have warnings against such 'abuse' - but both have work fine for
several years.

David