Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

You are misunderstanding the effect of drying concrete. It does not dry it
sets. Any concrete is mixed with water and then it starts to set. It will
set or harden within 24 hours but does not reach maximum strength for about
28 days. If it rains after you pour or even just use the dry mix in the hole
it makes no difference. If your hole is full of water, you can use concrete
but it is better to avoid making it to soupy or mixing mud in the concrete.
When I have to do that, I usually put the post in a garbage bag, drop in the
hole, then add the concrete into the bag, it keeps the excess water from
diluting the concrete mix. Officially concrete will set underwater, the
trick is to keep it from washing away or being diluted too much.

"webmz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I need to install some fence posts.

I'm in Florida and we're in hurricane season.
That means it rains almost every day, when the weather man is right.
Or the weather report says we'll have scattered showers for 4-5 days
and that will occur , or depending on where you are located
it could rain every evening, or afternoon, but not all day .
[my point is, it might rain, it might not]

I was considering using a fast drying product like QUIKRETEŽ
Fast-Setting Concrete or Pakmix Fence Post Mix with PakMix fast setting
accelerator .
In the hopes of setting the posts in the holes when it isn't raining ,
pouring the concrete, & it will dry as it says it will quickly.

[I'm not attaching the fence for a few days until the posts are
secured]

My questions:
1) if the product says it sets in 20 minutes, does that mean if it
starts
raining later that day, it will be ok ?

2) the ground is wet around here.
Is that going to compromise the drying of the cement or the anchoring
of the posts?

what is the easiest product to use, for quick drying cement for the
purpose of fence posts.?

The posts that were previously holding up my wooden fence were done to
code (supposedly):
8' posts, 2' of which is in cemented in the ground - the last category
3 hurricane knocked 4 of the
fence posts out of the ground & part of the fence over.

So I want to do the replacement posts properly & soon.
I cannot wait until after hurricane season to do this.

Thank you.
All help appreciated,.